Resources for Teens/Young Adults
Engage – http://engagetherapy.com
- Engage is an integrated private practice that offers a full range of outpatient services. All services were born out of the need to support families and community partners. Their mission is to improve the mental health of the community by building a community that fosters good mental health.
Thousand Oaks Teen Center – www.thousandoaksteencenter.com/
- The Teen Center in Thousand Oaks is open to 7-12th graders for recreational activities and opportunities
Teen Line – teenlineonline.org
- TEEN LINE is a confidential hotline for teenagers, and run by teenagers, which operates every evening from 5:30pm – 9:30pm PST. It is affiliated with Cedars Sinai Medical Center
Teens Helping Teens Crisis Line – Teens Helping Teens Crisis Line
- 1-800-TLC-TEEN (1-800-852-8336)
Crisis Text Line – www.crisistextline.org/
- 24/7 Crisis Text Line in which a live person receives your text and responds quickly
Resources for Parents
Grown and Flown – grownandflown.com/
- A blog which tries to cover the range of issue relating to raising kids ages 15-25. We write about High School, Social Media, Midlife, College, Coming Home, Good Parenting, Bad Parenting, Cooking for Two, and Lessons Learned from Other Parents and Grandparents
Center for Parent Information and Resources – www.parentcenterhub.org/
- Resources and support for Parents
Parent Project – http://www.parentproject.com/
- Parent Projects mission is to “develop parent-training programs for parents raising difficult or out-of-control children. We are committed to providing highly effective programs that are affordable for every parent.” Parents meet one night per week for 2 to 3 hours per night. The Parent Project activity based curriculum allows parents to learn and practice behavior management techniques at home. Parent support groups are formed using the UCLA self-help support group model.
Triple P – The Parenting – Positive Parenting Program – http://www.triplep.net/glo-en/home/
- The Triple P – Positive Parenting Program is one of the most effective evidence-based parenting programs in the world, backed up by more than 35 years of ongoing research. Triple P gives parents simple and practical strategies to help them build strong, healthy relationships, confidently manage their children’s behavior and prevent problems developing.
The Center for Compassion and Altruism Research & Education – ccare.stanford.edu/
- CCARE investigates methods for cultivating compassion and promoting altruism within individuals and society through rigorous research, scientific collaborations, and academic conferences.
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center – marc.ucla.edu
- Providing research, resources, classes, and free guided meditations
Self-Compassion – self-compassion.org
- All-in-one resource for self-compassion
Mental Health Support and Resources
Give An Hour – www.giveanhour.org
- Provide services for at-risk populations and other groups in need that can benefit from our model of delivering services through a network of volunteer professionals. Since 2005 we have focused on providing free mental health care to active duty, National Guard and Reserve service members, veterans, and their families. In 2016, we began expanding our efforts to address the mental health needs of other populations.
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – www.nami.org
- NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. –
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress
American Foundation For Suicide Prevention – www.afsp.org
- AFSP raises awareness, funds scientific research and provides resources and aid to those affected by suicide.
Ventura County Crisis Team – 24/7- 866-998-2243
- 24/7 Mobile Crisis Response Team/Hotline for residents of Ventura County
Los Angeles County Crisis Team
- 1-877-7CRISIS (1-877-727-4747)
- All other areas, 1-310-391-1253
American Psychological Association – www.lapsych.org
- Association represents licensed psychologists. Provides membership information, events, referrals, and continuing education links
Autism Society of America – www.autism-society.org
- The Autism Society, the nation’s leading grassroots autism organization, exists to improve the lives of all affected by autism
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – www.samhsa.gov
- SAMHSA’s mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America’s communities.
MentalHealth.gov – www.mentalhealth.gov
- Providing resources for mental health services in your area
National Child Traumatic Stress Network – http://www.nctsn.org/
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network was established to improve access to care, treatment, and services for traumatized children and adolescents exposed to traumatic events.
Therapeutic Phone Apps
The Virtual Hope Box
- (VHB) is a smartphone application designed for use by patients and their behavioral health providers as an accessory to treatment. The VHB contains simple tools to help patients with coping, relaxation, distraction, and positive thinking. Patients and providers can work together to personalize the VHB content on the patient’s own smartphone according to the patient’s specific needs. The patient can then use the VHB away from clinic, continuing to add or change content as needed.
Notes To Self
- Research suggests that what we think affects how we feel. Our thoughts can alter brain chemistry and change how the body functions. By increasing positive thoughts, we can impact our happiness—and even our health
- Meditation made simple. Guided meditations suitable for all levels from Headspace. Meditation can help improve your focus, exercise mindful awareness, relieve anxiety and reduce stress.
The Mindfulness App
- Start your journey to a more relaxed and healthier state of mind with The Mindfulness App. Whether you are just starting out or experienced in meditation, The Mindfulness App will help you to become more present in your daily life.
Calm App – https://www.calm.com
- Guided meditations, both free and paid options